Hunting: Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation

Frequently Asked Questions


If I am a nonresident hunter applying for a controlled hunt, what license do I need to buy?

You will need a nonresident hunting license prior to applying for the controlled hunts.
It can be:

  • a 5-day hunting license before applying, however, it is not valid for turkey and big-game hunting. Do not purchase an over-the-counter license for controlled hunts.

If I am a nonresident hunter who is successfully drawn what license to I need to buy?

  • If a nonresident applicant is drawn you will need to pay your license and user fees online. Costs are: deer ($201), elk ($301) or antelope ($301); both the hunting license and tag is included. For turkey, a nonresident will need a nonresident annual hunting license ($137) as well as a turkey license ($10). There is also a $50 nonresident controlled hunts permit fee. Nonresidents are also responsible for Federal User Fees.

When will controlled hunts information be available?

  • The online application will be available by April 1, and the only method for applying will be via the Internet.

When is the application deadline?

  • Online 11:59 p.m., May 15, 2016

When and How Will I Be Notified if I Was Drawn?

Applicants may check here to see if they were selected for a controlled hunt beginning July 6, 2016. Printed lists will not be available. Computer terminals are available to check the drawing results at most local libraries and will be available to the public at the following ODWC offices, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. unless otherwise posted. Unfortunately, we cannot answer telephone inquiries regarding controlled hunt outcomes.

Why not have a true preference point system for the controlled hunts?

There are too many hunters applying for too few hunts for that kind of system to work.

If I put in for controlled hunts long enough, am I guaranteed of getting drawn?

No, but your odds get better each year.

If I put in with a group of four for a hunt, how are our preference points calculated?

Example: One person has one preference point, one has two, one has three and one has four. This equals 10 points total. The points are averaged to two and one half and then rounded off to three points. The group is assigned three preference points.

Can I keep accumulating points indefinitely?

Yes, until you are drawn or you do not apply for a given category for five years.

If I can't make my hunt, do I get my preference points back?

Once selected, your points in that category go back to zero.

Is there any way I can improve my chances for being drawn, and if so, how?

            Hunters can improve their odds in several ways by learning how the Controlled Hunts program works. One way is by applying for hunts that traditionally have a lower number of applicants. For much more information, click on "How to up your odds" at the top of this page.

Can I apply with a group of friends for a hunt?

Yes, but be sure all of your information is correct or your group could be disqualified.

What if I have an address change after I apply?

Contact our License Section at (405) 521-3852.