Grassy Slough WMA covers 1,016 acres and is located in McCurtain County, Oklahoma. The WMA is 7 miles south of Idabel on highway 259. Habitat consists of a 120 acre Moist Soil Unit divided into three compartments. The area is mostly old farm fields with some areas replanted to hardwoods. The variety of trees include six species of oak as well as ash, hickory, pine, river birch, willow, as well as sand plum, holly, sumac, and a great variety of grasses and legumes. Soil types vary from deep sand to sandy loam. The average annual precipitation for the area is 53 inches.
11 miles south of Idabel on U.S. Hwy 259 to the green trash dumpsters on east side of highway.
Game Species of Interest:
- Quail: Bobwhite quail are present but in very low numbers.
- Bear: Archery season only.
- Turkey: Eastern wild turkeys are present in low numbers.
- Deer: Whitetail deer are present but in low numbers.
- Rabbit: Both cottontails and swamp rabbits are present with cottontails being more common.
- Furbearers: Coyote, bobcat, beaver, mink, and raccoon are available.
- Dove: Very limited opportunity.
- Waterfowl: Goose numbers are usually low but ducks may be present in fair numbers at times.
- River Otter
Nongame Species of Interest:
- Bald Eagle: Eagles winter at Pine Creek Lake and travel the Little River Basin.
Description of Fish and Wildlife Management Practices:
Management practices such as burning, plowing, and bush hogging are used to provide quality native plant food resources and to maintain habitat diversity. Grassy Slough WMA has plenty of water sources for all game and non-game species.
Camping and Facilities:
Camping is not available. Food and lodging is also available in Idabel, Oklahoma. No rifle range facilities exist at this project.
There is no fishing at Grassy Slough.
For additional information and area attractions:
Kiamichi Country Tourism
Broken Bow Chamber of Commerce
1134 W Martin Luther King Jr, Broken Bow 74728
(580) 584-3393 or (800) 528-7337
Idabel Chamber of Commerce
13 North Central, Idabel 74745
Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department
Post Office Box 52002
Oklahoma City, OK 73152-2002
(800) 652-6552 or (405) 521-2409