Landscaping for Wildlife

A Guide to the Southern Great Plains

example of a wildscapingWhen land is converted from wild habitat to human uses, wildlife species can be left homeless, especially in urban settings. Through the Oklahoma Wildscapes Program you can help Oklahoma's wildlife have places to live and create wonderful wildlife watching opportunities for you.

Wildscaped properties may be certified as official Oklahoma Wildscapes. Oklahoma's network contains over 430 certified properties representing 58 different counties.

Make Your Property An Oklahoma Wildscape.

Certification Requirements

Certification is based upon percentage of property that you dedicate to wildlife habitat (<50 percent = Wildlife Garden Certification; >50 percent = Wildlife Habitat Certification)

To purchase the book "Landscaping for Wildlife" print off the order form for the Outdoor Store and mail a check or money order for $30.


To Apply for Certification

The first step is to acquire the book, "Landscaping for Wildlife." Mail in the voucher at the back of the book to receive an application form. Complete the application and mail it back. It will be reviewed and if accepted, a numbered certificate and yard sign will be sent to you.

Wildscaping Tips

Wildscaping and Oklahoma Law

Wildscaping and Oklahoma Law
Wildscape Certification does not carry any legal authority. Even with certification you must abide by existing municipal ordinances and state laws. Certification does not protect your property from any future development plans.

Check the list below for the phone number to you code enforcement office.


Food Water Shelter/Cover Other
Wildflowers Property within 1/4 mile of a permanent source of water Rock pile Snag/fallen log
Food-producing shrubs, Trees, vines Water garden Brush pile Nesting box/shelf
Feeders Artificial bog-stream Vertical structure in plant layers (mix of trees, shrubs, ground cover) Roosting box
Nectar-producing flowers Birdbath/puddle Dense hedge, thicket, Evergreen plantings Dust bath area
      Plants for butterfly caterpillars



We strongly recommend that you check your city ordinances before beginning. Ordinances may restrict the number of things you can do to your yard.

Check city mowing ordinances if you’re considering a wildflower meadow or prairie. Some ordinances require front lawn grass be mowed every three weeks.

As most city ordinances are initiated by neighbor complaints, talk with your neighbors about your wildscaping plans.

Code Enforcement Office

Code Enforcement Office Numbers

City of Ada 580-436-8134 City of Midwest City 405-739-8240
City of Altus 580-481-2205 City of Moore 405-793-5052
City of Alva 580-327-4965 City of Muskogee 918-684-6232
City of Anadarko 405-247-2481 City of Mustang 405-376-9873
City of Ardmore 580-221-2539 City of McAlester 918-421-4986
City of Bartlesville 918-338-4240 City of McLoud 405-964-5264
City of Blackwell 580-363-0300 City of Newcastle 405-387-4427
City of Broken Arrow 918-259-8333 City of Newkirk 580-362-2117
City of Broken Bow 580-584-2282 City of Nichols Hills 405-843-5222
City of Cache 580-429-3090 City of Norman 405-366-5332
City of Catoosa 918-266-2505 Ext. 11 City of Oklahoma City 405-297-2322
City of Chandler 405-258-3213 City of Okmulgee 918-758-1110
City of Checotah 918-473-5411 City of Owasso 918-376-1546
City of Choctaw 405-390-3303 City of Pauls Valley 405-238-3308
City of Claremore 918-341-8842 City of Perry 580-336-3104
City of Clinton 580-323-1678 City of Piedmont 405-373-2621
City of Cordell 580-832-3825 City of Ponca City 580-767-0332
City of Coweta 918-486-2189 City of Pryor Creek 918-825-1485
City of Cushing 918-252-6165 City of Purcell 405-527-4657
City of Del City 405-671-2818 City of Sallisaw 918-775-6241
City of Dewey 918-534-2272 Ext. 104 City of Sand Springs 918-246-2576
City of Durant 580-924-8505 City of Sayre 580-928-2260
City of Edmond 405-359-4778 City of Sapulpa 918-224-3862
City of El Reno 405-262-2000 City of Skiatook 918-396-3046
City of Enid 580-234-0400 City of Spencer 405-771-3228
City of Eufaula 918-689-2534 City of Stillwater 405-742-8343
City of Fort Gibson 918-478-3551 City of Shawnee 405-878-1666
City of Frederick 580-335-7551 City of Stroud 918-968-2733
City of Glenpool 918-322-5409 City of Sulphur 580-622-5243
City of Grove 918-786-6107 City of Tahlequah 918-457-4749
City of Guthrie 405-282-1110 City of Tecumseh 405-598-3911
City of Harrah 405-454-2951 City of Tonkawa 580-628-2508
City of Holdenville 405-379-5933 City of Walters 580-875-3337
City of Idabel 580-286-7608 City of Weatherford 580-774-4515
City of Lawton 580-581-3467 City of Wellston 405-356-2308
City of Madill 580-795-3535 City of Warr Acres 405-789-0282
City of Marietta 580-276-2766 City of Wewoka 405-257-2413
City of Miami 918-541-2275 City of Woodward 580-256-2280
  City of Yukon 405-354-6676