Did you know you can complete your Hunter Education class all online? Check out how here.
Oklahoma Hunter Education Info
Is there an age limit?
Students under the age of 10 may attend a hunter education class, but will not be allowed to take the test or get a card.
What is Hunter Education?
Hunter education covers a variety of topics including firearms safety, wildlife identification, wildlife conservation and management, survival, archery, muzzleloading and hunter responsibility. It is available online and in an 8-hour traditional course.
Why Hunter Education?
Over the past 40 years, hunting related accidents and fatalities have declined by more than 70 percent in Oklahoma. Mandatory hunter education courses have not only reduced accidents within Oklahoma, but also in every state and Canadian province with similar programs.
There is no specific age requirement to enroll in hunter education but the minimum recommended age is 10. Oklahoma's hunter education program is recognized in all states as well as in Canada and Mexico.
Apprentice Designated License
Anyone buying a hunting or season specific license who has not completed Hunter Education Certification will have the hunter education number on that particular license designated as apprentice. An individual who is in possession of an “apprentice-designated” license must abide by accompanying hunter requirements.
For those requirements as well as apprentice-designated qualifications, see below:
- Hunters 30 and younger: Anyone who is not Hunter Education-certified may buy a hunting license that is apprentice-designated. Such hunters must abide by accompanying hunter requirements.
- Hunters 9 and younger: Anyone who is not Hunter Education-certified may buy a hunting license that is apprentice-designated. Such hunters must abide by accompanying hunter requirements.
- Accompanying hunter requirements: A person 18 or older who is licensed (unless exempt) and Hunter Education-certified (unless exempt). For big game hunting, an accompanying hunter must be within arm’s length of the apprentice hunter or close enough to take immediate control of the firearm or bow of the apprentice. For small game hunting, the accompanying hunter must be within sight of and able to communicate with the apprentice in a normal voice without aid.
- Anyone 31 or older is not required to have Hunter Education Certification to buy a hunting license.
More information about the program:
- Become a hunter education instructor (PDF)
- Oklahoma Hunter Education Manual (PDF - 80 pages, 7 MB)
- Oklahoma Hunter Educational Home Study workbook (PDF - 8 pages)
Questions about Hunter Ed?