Oklahoma has two introduced species of trout - rainbows and browns, with rainbows being far more abundant. Brown trout are stocked in the Lower Mountain Fork River below Broken Bow dam and in the Lower Illinois River when available, while rainbows are usually stocked at all eight of the state’s trout areas. Anglers can use the following tips to help them put trout on the stringer:
- Perry CCC/Lake Perry Park
- Lake Pawhuska (Closed)
- Robbers Cave
- Blue River
- Lake Watonga
- Quartz Mountain (closed due to golden Algae)
- Lake Carl Etling
- Lower Illinois River
- Lower Mt. Fork River
- Medicine Park (November 1 - March 15)
- OKC and Jenks Trout Fishing
Use ultra-light tackle, 4-6 lb. line and very small hooks, size 8-14. Live or prepared bait is preferred, but flies and small spinners or jigs also will catch fish (artificial lures and barbless hooks are required in some areas -- check current regulations for details). Fish near large rocks and logs and in deep holes.
Trout in Oklahoma
Stocking is tentative based on flooding, water temperatures, trout availability, road conditions and other unforeseen circumstances. If stockings are temporarily suspended due to water conditions, they will resume once conditions allow. Any stocking changes will be noted here. Anglers can find information about the most recent stocking dates in the weekly ODWC fishing reports.
- Altus Lugert/Quartz Mountain - No longer stocked due to effects of golden algae.
- Watonga (Roman Nose State Park) - Stockings occur from November 1 through March 31.
- Lake Carl Etling - Stockings occur from November 1 through April 30.
- Blue River - Stockings occur from November 1 through March 31.
- Mountain Fork (Beaver's Bend State Park) - Stockings occur year-round
- Illinois River - Stockings cancelled until water conditions improve
- Robbers Cave - Stockings occur from November 1 through March 15.
- Dolese Youth Park Pond (OKC) - Stockings occur from December 1 through February 28.
- Perry CCC/Lake Perry Park - Stockings occur from November 1 through March 31.
- Medicine Creek - Stockings occur from November 1 through March 15.
- Veteran's Park Pond, Jenks - Stockings occur from December 1 through February 28.
Trout Fishing: Match the Hatch!
Key Aquatic Insects of the Lower Mountain Fork
Elk Hair Caddis
March Brown Mayfly (nymph)
P.T., GRHE, Wired Hare’s Ear
March Brown Mayfly
Parachute P.T., March Brown
Elk Hair Caddis,
Spillway Creek Caddis, Serendipity
Spillway Creek Caddis
Midge Dry, Griffith’s Gnat
Disco Caddis, Red Hot, Thread Midge, Brassie
June, July, August
Rusty Dun Mayfly
Blue Wing Olive Mayfly
16, 18, 20
Olive w/ Gray Wings
BWO Dries, Adams
Elk Hair Caddis, Davey’s Caddis
Gray Dun Mayfly
Pale Morning Dun
Tan Dun Mayfly
Late Summer, Fall
Insect and artificial fly information provided by Robert Woodruff.