The Lake of the Arbuckles is a 2,350-acre reservoir formed by the impoundment of Guy Sandy, Buckhorn, and Rock Creeks, approximately 8 miles southwest of Sulphur in Murray County, Oklahoma. It was constructed by the Bureau of Reclamation in 1967 and has a watershed of 126 square miles in south-central Oklahoma. Arbuckle Dam and water levels are managed by the Bureau of Reclamation. Recreational access, patrols, and lakeside facilities are managed by the National Park Service.
Lake of the Arbuckles (Google Map) is located 6 miles southwest of Sulphur in between SH 7 and US 177 within the Chickasaw National Recreation Area.
The National Park Service manages campgrounds with full RV hookups, boat ramps, covered fishing piers and designated swimming areas.
- Arbuckle Bait Box(1719 Cedar Blue Rd, Sulphur, OK 73086)- (580) 622-5359
- Buckhorn Bait(199 Buckhorn Rd, Sulphur, OK 73086)- (405) 487-8180
- Point Bait Shop(774 Cooper Memorial Rd, Sulphur, OK 73086)- (580) 622-6338
- Walmart Supercenter (Sulphur)(2705 W Broadway Ave, Sulphur, OK 73086)- (580) 622-6146
- Walmart Supercenter (Ardmore)(1715 N Commerce St, Ardmore, OK 73401)- (580) 226-1257
- Academy (Ardmore)(1605 12th Ave NW, Ardmore, OK 73401)- (580) 768-6429
- Dickey's Tackle Box(270 S Washington St, Ardmore, OK 73401)
- Jones Wholesale Bait Inc(5799 E Prairie Valley Rd, Ardmore, OK 73401)- (580) 224-9944
- Lake Country Store(18550 Scenic, State Hwy 77, Ardmore, OK 73401)- (580) 226-0030
- Scotty's Blue River One Stop(4501 S Bullard Chapel Rd, Tishomingo, OK 73460)- (580) 371-9288
Florida strain largemouth bass are stocked annually.
Contact the Bureau of Reclamation for ADA information at (580) 622-7234 or the Chickasaw National Recreation Area.
Crappie: 15 combined per day, must be 10 inches or longer.
May 28. Elevation is Normal (stable), water temperature 77°F and stained. (USACE Lake Level)
Catfish, Blue, Catfish, Channel, Catfish, Flathead Fair on punch bait, shad, shrimp, stinkbait around channels, flats, points, riprap.
Bass, Largemouth, Bass, Smallmouth, Bass, Spotted Slow on crankbaits, jerk baits, jigs, plastic baits around points, riprap.
Crappie, Black, Crappie, White Slow on live bait, minnows, tube jigs around brush structure, standing timber.
Report submitted by Casey Young (Game Warden Murray County)
Fish Species of Interest
Eagle Scout Prospect Builds Bat Boxes
A group of Scouts gathered to plan, build, and install three rocket-style bat boxes.
May 22, 2023
Tips for Moving Turtles from Roadways
Oklahoma's roads can be a dangerous place for wildlife, especially deliberate but slow-moving turtles. As you motor across the state this spring, consider lending these fellow travelers a hand with these three tips.
May 18, 2023