Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Below are some frequently asked questions that might help direct you.  If you don't see an answer to your question below you can visit our Contact Us page or our Contact Form to reach out.

General FAQs 

Q: Registration of Boat or Motor?

Contact the Oklahoma Tax Commission - (800) 522-8165 or, or your local tag agency.

Q: Boating Laws and Safety?

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol manages boating laws and safety.  Contact the OK Highway Patrol, Troop W – Lake Patrol - (918) 681-4959

Q: Polluted Waters?

Contact the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), (405) 702-8100 or

Q: Nuisance Wildlife Problem?

The ODWC does not trap or remove nuisance wildlife.

Contact a certified Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator (NWCO), list online HERE.

Q: Injured/Young Wildlife?

The ODWC does not respond to or accept injured wildlife brought to any office.

It is encouraged to leave young wildlife alone.

For help with injured wildlife contact a certified wildlife rehabilitator, list online HERE.

Q: Roadkill or Dead Animal Removal?

The ODWC does not remove dead wildlife or roadkill.

Contact the owner or operator of the street/highway for roadkill removal.

Q: Camping Fees or Rules?

The ODWC does not manage any properties that have camping fees or that takes reservations for camping. For rules and regulations on camping on areas managed by the ODWC visit DEPARTMENT-MANAGED AREA RULES.

For camping fees and rules be sure to contact the operator, owner or caretaker of the site.

Q: Fish Kill or Invasive Species?

To report a fish kill contact the Fish Kill Hotline (800) 522-0206 or Wildlife Department (918) 348-2746 or (918) 683-1031.

To report invasive species contact the Wildlife Department (918) 348-2746 or (918) 683-1031.  For information on aquatic invasive species in Oklahoma go HERE.

Q: Information for State Parks, Events or Brochures?

Contact Oklahoma Tourism - (800) 652-6552 or

Q: Where can I buy fish?

ODWC Fish Hatcheries do not sell fish.  For a list of licensed hatcheries that sell fish in Oklahoma check out the Aquaculture Program through the Oklahoma Dept. of Agriculture.

Q: What about Oklahoma City Fishing Rules & Permits?

Contact Oklahoma City - (405) 297-1426 or

Fishing FAQs 

Q: I’m 72 years old and live in Texas. Do I need to buy a fishing license if I’m visiting Oklahoma to fish?

A: No. If you are a Texas resident who is 65 or older, you can take advantage of the reciprocal agreement between Oklahoma and Texas. This agreement allows anyone 65 and older to fish in the other state without having to buy a license.

Q: I live in Missouri and am 76 years old. Can I fish for free in Oklahoma because I’m a senior citizen?

A: No. All nonresidents who are 65 and older (except Texas residents) are required to buy a fishing license in Oklahoma. A nonresident one-day fishing license costs $15, and a nonresident six-day fishing license costs $35.

Q: I have an Oklahoma fishing license. Am I permitted to fish on the Texas side of Lake Texoma?

A: No. You must have either a Texas license to fish on the Texas side of Lake Texoma, or you can buy a Texoma fishing license for $12, which allows you to fish both sides of the lake.

Q: Is it true that anyone can fish in an Oklahoma state park without needing a fishing license?

A: No. A fishing license is required for Oklahoma state park waters.

Q: Do I need a fishing license if I fish in my neighborhood pond?

A: In most all cases a fishing license is required. For more information, contact your local game warden.

Q: Can you tell me about camping sites and fees for the lake where I’m fishing?

A: The lake’s operator sets rules about camping, so one should first determine the proper source for camping information. The Wildlife Department allows camping in designated areas at its 15 Department-owned lakes, but specific rules may differ for each lake. For a list of public lakes and contact information, go to

Q: On Google Earth, I keep seeing small lakes labeled “Oknoname.” Can I fish in them?

A: These are watershed flood control reservoirs built by the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). Most are on private land, so you would need permission from the landowner to fish on the property.

Q: Can I catch trout when it’s not “trout season”?

A: Yes. Trout season is the period during which trout are stocked, and certain other restrictions apply. You may catch and keep trout year round. See trout regulations for daily bag limits and size restrictions.

Q: If I have my pond stocked through the Wildlife Department’s Farm Pond Stocking Program, do I have to allow the public to fish in my pond?

A: No. Law enforcement personnel are permitted to check licenses of those fishing in your pond (landowners and their immediate family are exempt), but you do not have to allow other people to fish in your pond.

Q: Can I go tube fishing or float fishing in Wildlife Department-owned lakes?

A: Yes.

Q: Where can I find the list of flood control/watershed lakes that I can fish in?

A: Such a list doesn’t exist. Watershed lakes or flood control projects were created through the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), and most are on private land. You will need to contact the landowner for permission to fish on the property.