Skip to main content

Getting Started Fishing

So what do I need to go fishing in Oklahoma?

License Requirements

  • An Oklahoma resident or nonresident fishing license is required of all persons who take, attempt to take, or possess fish or other aquatic dwelling organisms by any method in Oklahoma. Persons fishing the Red River must have a valid Oklahoma fishing license unless exempt.
  • In addition, persons fishing on waters located within the Honobia Creek or Three Rivers Wildlife Management Areas must have a valid Land Access Permit, unless exempt.
  • Persons residing in another state who own land in Oklahoma but do not live on that land, and are fishing on that land, must purchase a nonresident fishing license.
  • All required licenses or written evidence of exemption and identification must be carried on your person while fishing.

Common Fishing Licenses Purchased


  • Annual Fishing License - $25 (valid Jan. 1 - Dec. 31)
  • 2-Day Fishing License - $15 (valid two consecutive days of choice)
  • Youth Annual Fishing License - $5 (valid for 16 & 17 year olds Jan. 1 - Dec. 31)


  • Annual Fishing License - $55 (valid Jan. 1 - Dec. 31)
  • 6-Day Fishing License - $35 (valid six consecutive days of choice)
  • 1-Day Fishing License - $15 (valid one day of choice)


Fishing Licenses Exemptions

The following persons are exempt from a fishing license:


  • Residents under 16 years old.
  • Resident owners or tenants, their spouses, parents, grandparents, children and their spouses, grandchildren and their spouses who fish in private ponds on land owned or leased by such owner or tenant.
  • Resident disabled veterans with 60 percent or more disability. Call State Department of Veterans Affairs, (888) 655-2838 to acquire proof of exemption.
  • Any person who fishes with pole and line, trotline or throw line in streams, natural ponds and mine pits in or forming the boundary of the county in which he is a bona fide resident, when using any bait other than commercial or artificial bait, blood, stink bait, cut fish, and shrimp.
  • Residents having a proven disability rendering them nonambulatory and confined to wheelchairs as certified by a duly qualified physician.
  • The following persons are exempt from the purchase of the Land Access Permit (Honobia Creek and Three Rivers WMAs): Any Oklahoma resident who on the first day of the current calendar year was younger than 18, or anyone 64 or older. All nonresidents are required to purchase an $85 annual Land Access Permit (no exemptions).


  • Nonresidents under 14 years old.
  • Nonresidents under 16 years old who reside in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Texas or Wisconsin.
  • Nonresidents 65 and older who are residents of Texas. (Valid ID required.)


  • Any person legally blind or physically impaired who is unable to properly use fishing apparatus and one accompanying companion while the blind or physically impaired person is fishing.
  • Persons under 18 who are in legal and physical custody of the State of Oklahoma or its agencies by court order.
  • Persons under 18 who are in the custody of a child care facility as defined by Title 10 O.S., Section 402.
  • Persons fishing during Oklahoma‚Äôs Free Fishing Days.
  • Any patient of a state institution in Oklahoma established for the care and treatment of mental illness or alcohol or drug dependency or any person developmentally disabled residing in any group home or other institution or persons developmentally disabled when accompanied by an attendant of such institution or legal guardian or when fishing on institutional property.
  • Job Corps trainees of this state, having a proper identification card.
  • Any person participating in an aquatic education event or clinic sanctioned by the Wildlife Department.