The Gary Sherrer WMA covers 1,280 acres of southeast Pittsburg county. Located approximately fifteen miles south of Hartshorne, the area is comprised of a mixture of oak/pine forest with steep slopes, shallow soils and rocky terrain.
Some of the native tree species you will encounter are shortleaf pine, post oak, red oak, black oak, water oak, sycamore, hackberry, hickory, elm, blackgum, sweetgum, rusty blackhaw, flowering dogwood, and hawthorne. You will also encounter high bush huckleberry, low bush huckleberry, different varieties of sumac, coralberry, poison ivy, green brier, blackberry and others. The average annual precipitation for the area is about 52 inches.
From Hartshorne: From U.S. Hwy 270 and 7th St, 15 miles south (old Savage Hwy), WMA sign will be on east side of county road, turn east onto Easement Road, 1½ miles to area.
- Deer: White-tailed deer are present in fair number but are highly sought after.
- Turkey: Eastern wild turkeys are present in fair numbers but are highly sought after.
- Rabbit: Cottontails are present but not usually in large numbers.
- Furbearers: Coyote, bobcat, opossum, skunk, beaver and raccoon are available.
- Dove: Very limited opportunity.
- Waterfowl: A few wood ducks might be found on Bolen Creek.
- Woodcock: Occur in relatively low numbers.
- Squirrel: Fox and gray squirrels are present in good numbers.
- Bear: Good population of black bears.
- Brown Creeper: Present, but only in very low numbers.
- Owls: Several species of owls may be observed on the area. The Screech owl is a favorite.
- Eastern Wood Pewee: Is also a favorite of bird watching enthusiasts.
- Woodpeckers: Several species of woodpeckers may be observed on the area
There is a designated camping area at the entrance of the area.
Lakes on area:
Fishing opportunities exist along Bolen Creek which runs through the area.
Same As Statewide Seasons
Hunter and angler camping is allowed in designated areas within 50 yards of open roads during open WMA hunting seasons.
Kiamichi Country Tourism
PO Box 279, Dept KC03
Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department
Post Office Box 52002
Oklahoma City, OK 73152-2002
(800) 652-6552 or (405) 521-2409
Pushmataha County Chamber of Commerce
212 North High Antlers OK 74523
Talihina Chamber of Commerce and Ouachita National Forest Interpretive Association
900 Second St, Suite 12, Dept 03,
Talihina, OK 74571