Hickory Creek WMA covers 7,363 acres of eastern Love County and is located just east of Hwy. 77S approximately five miles northeast of Marietta, Oklahoma. Post oak-blackjack timber dominates the uplands with bottomland hardwoods occurring in the low-lying areas. Native grasslands comprised of little bluestem and Indian grass dominate the upland openings.
From Marietta: 1 mile east on State Hwy 32, 4 miles north on U.S. Hwy 77S, 1 mile east on Ironhorse Rd to main entrance.
- Quail: Bobwhite quail are present in low numbers.
- Deer: White-tailed deer are present in good numbers but are highly sought after.
- Turkey: Rio Grande turkeys are present in good numbers but are highly sought after.
- Rabbit: Both cottontails and swamp rabbits are present in good numbers.
- Furbearers: Coyote, bobcat, and raccoon are available.
- Dove: Present in limited numbers.
- Waterfowl: Ducks are usually present in good numbers near the confluence of Hickory Creek and Lake Texoma.
- Squirrel: Fox squirrels are present in good numbers
- Bald Eagle: Eagles winter at Hickory Creek WMA near the Lake Texoma portion of the area.
Management efforts focus on encouraging native wildlife foods with prescribed burns, although several miles of food plots are planted annually.
Several undesignated primitive camping areas are offered on the area, while both lodging and restaurants are available in Marietta and Ardmore. The Love County Chamber of Commerce can be reached at (580) 276-3102.
A shooting range can be found on the north side of the area.
Range Coordinates: 34° 0'13.44"N 97° 2'1.64"W
Driving Directions: From Ardmore, take US-77S south for 7 miles to Lodge Rd. Turn East onto Lodge Rd/ State Hwy 77 for 2.4 miles. Travel south onto OK-77S for 6 miles. Turn right onto Paschall Rd for .3 miles. Turn South onto Scott Rd. Scott Rd turns slightly left and becomes Ran Rd. After .2 miles turn South onto Refuge Rd keeping left. Entrance to the rifle range will be the second road on the right.
Same As Statewide Seasons
Hunter and angler camping is allowed in designated areas.