Texoma/Washita Arm/Tishomingo WMA covers 13,286 acres in southern Johnston County. The area is located southwest of Tishomingo. The area primarily consists of river bottom habitats with scattered agricultural fields.
Tishomingo WMU West Entrance
From Tishomingo: 2 miles southwest on U.S. Hwy 377, ¾ mile south on McAdams Rd (N3540).
Tishomingo WMU North Entrance
From Tishomingo: ½ mile south on U.S. Hwy 377, ½ mile east on Pennington Rd, ½ mile south on Dogwood Rd.
Tishomingo WMU East Entrance
From Tishomingo: 2 miles south of Johnston County Memorial Hospital on Airport Rd (dead ends).
Tishomingo WMU South Entrance
From Madill: 4½ miles northeast on U.S. Hwy 377, 2 miles north on Bell Creek Rd.
Washita Arm WMA
The WMA lies along the Washita River and secondary drainages between the towns of Mannsville and Tishomingo. There are numerous access points.
Game Species of Interest:
- Quail: Bobwhite quail are present in low numbers.
- Deer: White-tailed deer are present in good numbers but are heavily sought after.
- Turkey: Rio Grande wild turkeys are present in fair numbers but are heavily sought after.
- Rabbit: Both cottontail and swamp rabbits are present in fair numbers.
- Furbearers: Coyote, bobcat and raccoon are available.
- Dove: Present in limited numbers.
- Waterfowl: Ducks are usually present in good numbers but are heavily sought after.
Nongame Species of Interest:
- Bald Eagle: Eagles winter in all areas of the WMA.
Description of Fish and Wildlife Management Practices:
Management efforts focus on extensive agricultural plantings, most of which are administered through agricultural leases. In addition, some small wildlife plots are planted annually. Prescribed burns are conducted when conditions permit.
Camping and Facilities:
Two designated primitive camping areas are offered on Washita Arm WMA. Five primitive camping areas are available on Tishomingo WMU outside of the primitive firearms and deer gun seasons. Lodging and restaurants are available in the town of Tishomingo.
A 100 yard shooting range with shooting bench can be found on the east side of Washita Arm WMA, just west of Highway 99/377.
Fishing opportunities exist on the area’s many small ponds, lakes, and the Washita River. Lake Texoma is famous for its excellent striped bass fishery, with good opportunities for black bass, crappie and catfish species.
Range Coordinates: 34.215200, -96.705901
Driving Directions: From Madill, travel east on Main St out of town continuing onto US-377 N for 10.6 miles. Turn left onto N3540 Rd. After .2 miles the rifle range entrance will be on your left.