Skip to main content

Residency Definitions

Any person holding a valid driver license is considered a resident of the state that issued the license. For a valid Oklahoma driver license to be used as the sole source of proof of residency, it must be at least 60 days from the date the license was issued, except for lifetime license applicants, whose license must have been issued for six months or longer.

If a person does not hold a valid driver license, the Department may consider other reliable documentation, such as resident income tax returns, voter registration, motor vehicle or vessel registrations, and other public records documenting residence.

Residency for children under 18 years of age is presumed to be that of the custodial parent, including a custodial parent where there is a joint custody order and the physical custody of the child is shared by both parents, or legal guardian unless otherwise documented.

Persons who own land in Oklahoma but do not live here are considered nonresidents. A person cannot claim multiple states of residence, with the following exception:

Military Personnel

  • A person who is not otherwise a resident of the state and is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States and is on active duty and permanently assigned to a military installation located in the state shall be eligible to qualify as a resident for annual license purchases if the person presents with the license application a certificate of assignment in the state from a commanding officer or designated representative. A spouse or dependent of the person who is not otherwise a resident of the state, is living within the same household and is similarly certified by a commanding officer, shall also be eligible to qualify as a resident.
  • The residency status of any person, except active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and any dependents of the member, shall terminate if the person obtains any resident hunting, fishing, trapping license or permit or valid driver license issued by another state. A nonresident is any individual who is a resident of another state or who has resided in Oklahoma for a period of less than 60 days whether or not he or she intends to make Oklahoma his or her home.