At only 177 acres, Gist is a small WMA, located 6 miles northwest of Tipton in Tillman County.
The area is primarily North Fork of the Red River bottomland and is vegetated with sand plum thickets, cottonwoods, and tall grass species.
From Tipton: From stop light on State Hwy 5C, 2 miles north on N. Broadway Ave (CR 215), 2½ miles west on E1710.
Game Species of Interest:
- Waterfowl: Small numbers may be present on the river during migration.
- Deer: White-tailed deer are present in low numbers.
- Dove: Doves may be present in small numbers during migration.
- Quail: Bobwhite quail are present in low numbers.
- Rabbit: Cottontails may be present in fair numbers.
- Furbearers: Coyote, bobcat and raccoon may be available.
Description of Fish and Wildlife Management Practices:
Little management occurs on this area due to its very small size. A dove feeding field is planted in most years.
Camping and Facilities:
Fishing very limited fishing available on North Fork of the Red River.
For additional information and area attractions:
Altus Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 518
Altus OK 73522
Frederick Chamber of Commerce
105 South Main
Frederick OK 73542
Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department
Post Office Box 52002
Oklahoma City, OK 73152-2002
(800) 652-6552 or (405) 521-2409