Sparrowhawk WMA consists of approximately 566 acres in Cherokee county and is located on Hwy.10 approximately 5 miles east of Tahlequah.
Dense stands of oak-hickory timber interspersed with some short leaf pine on rolling, rocky, and relatively steep hills predominates the area. The average annual precipitation is about 41 inches.
From Tahlequah: 1 mile east on U.S. Hwy 62, 3 miles north on State Hwy 10, 0.3 miles east on E0730 (black top road).
Game Species of Interest:
- Deer: White-tailed deer are present in fair numbers.
- Turkey: Rio Grand turkeys are present in low numbers.
- Quail: Bobwhite quail are present in low numbers.
- Rabbit: Cottontail rabbits are available.
- Squirrel: Both fox and gray squirrels are present in good numbers.
- Furbearers: Coyote, bobcat, Gray fox, raccoon, skunk, mink and opossum can be found on the area.
- Dove: Dove may be present in very low numbers.
Nongame Species of Interest:
- Bald Eagle: Eagles occasionally winter along the Illinois river which borders the area to the west.
Description of Fish and Wildlife Management Practices:
The area is a land grant, in which the donors requested the area be kept in pristine condition. Therefore, it is maintained as a primitive area with little development and consists almost exclusively of mature hard wood closed canopy timber. The only available water is the Illinois River. Management for wildlife is limited to population control through annual seasons and bag limits.
Camping and Facilities:
Camping is not permitted on the area. Accommodations can be found in Tahlequah. The Tahlequah Chamber of Commerce can be reached at (918) 456-3742.
The Illinois River provides excellent year around fishing smallmouth, spotted and largemouth bass, channel catfish and a variety of sunfish species. For more information about floating and/or fishing the Illinois River contact the Oklahoma Scenic Rivers Commission (918) 456-3251.
For additional information and area attractions:
Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department
Post Office Box 52002
Oklahoma City, OK 73152-2002
(800) 652-6552 or (405) 521-2409
Upper McClellan-Kerr Waterway Association
PO Box 2361
Muskogee, OK 74402
Muskogee Convention and Tourism
412 Boston, Muskogee OK 74402